10/01/2004

Songs & Kisses

I really shouldn't fall into the never-updated-blog trap after only one post, but I'm also trying not to post when there's no news at all. And since Fiona can't do something like say her first words or change her own diaper for the first time on a daily basis, updates will be sporadic.

But I should post, so here are a few items:

  • We expect Fiona to be a musical child; it's in her genes, and she's always had a big interest in the music box in her crib, songs we sing to her, etc. While putting her to bed the other night, I got to the last line of the lullaby I usually sing to her (which is "Coney Island Baby" by, uh, Tom Waits, who isn't usually thought of for children's songs, and it's from his musical version of Wozzeck, which isn't really children's material, but really it's a lovely song). Anyway, on the last line, rather than resolve the song, I let my voice go up so I could extend the song for one more phrase. Fiona's eyes opened back up instantly; she knew Daddy hadn't done the song right. That'll teach me.
  • Lots of kisses these days. Fiona-style kisses, that is--she's figured out that she can kiss Mommy or Daddy by pressing her lips up against the face, but beyond that she's at a loss. So we're getting plenty of baby slobber on our cheeks.
  • On Wednesday night after Fiona was done eating I decided to teach her how to "give me five." I held out my hand and kept it there, and then when she slapped it I gave her a kiss or a cheer. I didn't remember to tell Andrea about it, but on Thursday when Andrea was done feeding her, Fiona kept holding her hand out for the big five from Mommy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home