2/16/2008

More Scientifically Observant Than I Am

A few minutes ago Fiona was holding a spoon and looking at her reflection.

"Daddy," she said. "I can't get it right-side up."

I told her that because of the way a spoon is shaped, her reflection would always be upside down in a spoon. I told her Aunt Kathy could probably do a better job explaining the science, but that that was how spoons worked.

"Not in the moose book," she said.

A few Christmases ago Fiona got a book called The Useful Moose, about a girl who becomes friends with a trio of moose. The moose help around the house and turn out to be naturals at cleaning up.

I've probably read that book to her 50 times, and never once did I notice that on one page a moose is looking at his reflection in a spoon and the reflection is right-side up.

Now, technically the moose could be looking at the back of the spoon, but still... that's remarkably observant, and not just by the standards of a four-year old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home