4/02/2007

Do They Keep Track of My Travel Plans

I think I've mentioned before that Fiona can't get out the door in the morning to day care (or anywhere else) without taking at least one stuffed animal, book, purse or other bauble. When she goes to day care, she normally will play with her toy for a little bit, and then when she loses interest they're very good about getting whatever toy she brought into her bag so that it's sure to go back home with her.

Last November I had to go out of town for a couple of days for work. When I returned, I brought Fiona a Little Mermaid coloring book, which quickly became the Greatest Gift in the History of Gifts. Fiona brought the book with her to day care. That night when we got home, Fiona remembered the book, I went to check her bag and... five minutes of toddler crying later I found myself at the day care door after hours asking to retrieve a coloring book.

Fast forward to last week when I got back from another business trip, this time carrying a stuffed lion. Once again, it quickly became the Greatest Gift in the History of Gifts. Once again, Fiona brought it with her to day care to show everybody.

Once again, when we got home, her prized possession had not been returned.

Yes, when I went to check her backpack that evening, there was no lion to be found. Now, you might wonder why I don't check her backpack before leaving day care every single day. But what you haven't considered is that they've only forgotten to pack Fiona's toy twice.

Unfortunately, Andrea wasn't home on Friday evening, and I wasn't about to make a round trip back to day care with Fiona in tow. So I spent some time before bed on Friday promising Fiona that we would try to get her lion back as soon as possible. About twenty minutes after I shut the door to her room Fiona started crying about her stuffed animals, which was very abnormal. And on Saturday morning before we did anything else, Andrea and I stopped by day care to conduct a thorough search of the premises until Fiona's lion was located.

Next time I come back from a business trip, though, I'm chaining any present directly to my child.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

And I thought Fiona was just confused when she told me on Saturday that she had gone to Rita's.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home