1/14/2005

Suckers

Last week, Andrea and I watched 50 First Dates, the Adam Sandler/Drew Barrymore takeoff on Groundhog Day (Drew Barrymore's character has no short term memory and so can't remember past one day anything that happened to her after a car accident, which makes it difficult for Sandler to woo her). The movie was pretty enjoyable--at least, the 50% of the movie that wasn't aimed at teenage boys was enjoyable, the part that didn't feature Rob Schneider--and basically forgettable.

In the final scene of the movie, there's a quick moment where, having finally figured out a way to be together, we flash forward a few years and Barrymore and Sandler are married. She wakes up in the morning and heads out to meet her husband (again), and he introduces her to her daughter.

It's a nothing moment, but of course it reduces Andrea and me to tears. I used to laugh at my parents for being suckers for this maudlin stuff, but nowadays anything that involves a child hits me like you wouldn't believe. I can't even deal with certain Simpsons episodes involving Homer and Lisa any more.

So, does this complete loss of emotional resistance ever go away? Do I get to be my cynical self ever again? Or will I just nod at Fiona in a few years when she's laughing at me for tearing up, defending myself meekly with that age old "one day you'll understand"? Time shall tell...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home