3/29/2006

Wonder Pets

In which Daddy has his first experience acting oblivious to what the kids today are into.

As I flipped through the Arts section of the Times yesterday morning, Fiona climbed excitedly on my lap and pointed to a picture in an article I wasn't reading.

"Whale!" she yelled.



I nodded, and said, "yes, that's a whale."

"Wahnna pet!" she shouted.

"You want to pet the whale?"

"No, wahnna pet!"

I was done with the arts section anyway, so I started to hand it to her. "It's okay. You can pet the whale if you want."

Fiona was getting exasperated now. "Wahnna pet!"

I finally took a look at the caption. The article was describing a new show on Nick Jr. called Wonder Pets.

"Oh, Wonder Pets!" I said, finally understanding what my daughter was saying.

"Yeah, Wonder Pets!" Fiona shouted. And then she proceeded to look at the pictures from the show while I tried to read up on what my daughter's latest favorite TV show is.

Animals. Songs, by reasonably talented musical theater composers. Sounds like something right up her alley.

I know they watch more TV at day care than I'd like; that seems to be uniform at local centers. I'd worry about it more if Fiona's TV habits were worse, but, unless she's very tired, she tends to pay attention to shows when somebody's singing a song and when people are just talking she usually runs off to play with her toys. I've seen that at day care, too. I've picked her up from day care and seen a few kids sitting at the table watching TV while Fiona sits on the futon "reading" a book to a stuffed animal.

And the party line from the Times article seems to be that Wonder Pets is no Barney. Which is all most parents really care about.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a dolphin.

6:43 PM  
Blogger BWC said...

OK, sorry Aunt Literal. Fiona called it a whale, and like the terrible parent I am I don't always correct her.

But, yes, I can tell the difference between a whale and a dolphin. Curiously, nobody seems interested when I put this down as my primary skill on my resume.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home