9/21/2006

What Fiona Likes These Days

Pink

Fiona could probably go a month without repeating shirts, but about 3/4 of her shirts are off limits as far as she's concerned because they aren't pink. I've tried putting the clean pink shirts at the bottom of her drawer after we do laundry, only to watch Fiona dig past the green and blue and white to find the pink buried beneath.

She gets an especially nice look going when she matches her shirt with a pink skirt or pants. We call that look Toddler Pepto Bismol.

Seven Favorite Words: "I have to do it by myself"

Said any time we try to help her with something to speed the process along (for example, putting her hat on for her as we head out the door, or lifting her into her car seat rather than letting her climb her way in).

Also said when she wants to do things that she can't quite do herself but wishes she could. When we pick out her clothes in the morning, Fiona usually picks a shirt and then sends me out of the room so she can put it on herself. That goes fine, but then I come back and we pick out a pair of pants, and she sends me out of the room again. After a few seconds she calls me back because she's having trouble getting her pant leg all the way on. So I help the pants get past her feet, and then she sends me away so she can pull the pants up by herself.

Also said when she wants to do things she can't possibly do by herself just yet. Like twisting the cap off of the juice bottle, or squeezing out the shampoo and putting it on her scalp.

Princesses

This ties in to the affection for pink. We're in a girly phase. Last week I was at Costco browsing the DVDs and somehow Fiona spotted and got her hands on a Disney Princesses DVD. I managed to distract her by offering to get her some toy puppets instead. Still, I've noticed that parents can, in fact, avoid Barney or Teletubbies or Boohbah or whatever the latest fad in turning your baby into a zombie vegetable is. But there's no avoiding Disney Princesses--only a futile battle to contain their power.

Ghosts, Monsters and Dinosaurs

These are (apparently) found everywhere in our home. A few days ago, she pointed and said "oh no, a ghost!" I threw a blanket over my head and said "this ghost is going to get you!" At which point Fiona pulled the blanket off and said "not that ghost, a real ghost!" and pointed off into space and ran into the next room.

Hmm, maybe that's not such a cute story. I mean, I think she was pretending. She doesn't seem to have too much Haley Joel Osment in her. Guess we'd better monitor her visions.

Bags

Everything about them. Putting things in them. Taking things out. Closing them once you've put something in them. We have probably 5-10 little containers of various sizes containing puzzle pieces, crayons, blocks, and occasionally a stuffed animal.

Feeding the Cat

Fiona now feeds Buddy his dry food. She knows how to take the bag out and scoop the food. She can't figure out how to put the clip back on the bag to hold it shut, but that doesn't mean she wants Daddy's help (see "I have to do it by myself", above).

Of course, she still needs to be attended. After getting back from Costco last week (see "Princesses," above), I figured I could keep Fiona occupied for a minute or two while I unloaded the car by asking her to feed Buddy. When I got to the kitchen after carrying in the last box, I found a huge pyramid of dry food in Buddy's bowl, more dry food scattered across the kitchen, and Fiona continuing to scoop away, trying to carefully add yet another 1/4 cup to the top of the pile.

And all that dry food got her pink clothes dirty, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home