3/27/2009

Transit from the Five-Year Old Perspective

Driving down the street, Fiona often spells out the words on signs she sees and asks me what they mean. "What does S-H-E-L-L spell? What does D-O-N-U-T spell?" Sometimes she'll identify the word herself and ask for confirmation. This happened yesterday while we were stuck at a light and she looked at a road sign.

Fiona: What does E-H-R-L-I-C-H spell?

Me: Ehrlich.

Fiona: What's an Ehrlich?

Me: It's the name of the road.

Fiona: Why did they name it an Ehrlich?

Me: It's probably named after somebody. There was probably a Mr. Ehrlich or a Mrs. Ehrlich who did something important nearby so they named the road for them.

Fiona: I want somebody to name a road after me.

Me: Well, maybe one day you can get that.

Fiona: (suddenly disappointed) Oh, but they probably have names for all the roads. There aren't any more roads.

Me: Sometimes they build new roads, honey.

Fiona: They do?

Me: Sure.

Fiona: I think I'll go tell the road builders to make a new road for me. Then they can name it Fiona Village.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home