9/23/2007

Stages of Understanding a New Word

1) Fiona hears a word for the first time.

As we walk down the street I grab her hand and tell her she has to hold it.

"We're not crossing the street," she protests.

"I know," I reply. "But a lot of cars come out of the alley here so I need you to hold on."

"That's an alley?" she asks, looking to the area where I'd been pointing.

2) Fiona starts trying to use the word.

A minute later we walk past a gas station and I grab hold of her hand again. Fiona knows that a lot of cars come in and out of the station and she has to hold my hand here, but now she thinks she has the word to go with the situation:

"This is an alley," she says. "A gas station is an alley."

"No," I respond. "It's a gas station."

"It's not a street."

"No, it's a gas station."

"It's an alley. A gas station is an alley."

Anywhere that cars go that isn't a street must be an alley.

3) The word gets some further definition.

"An alley is a space between two buildings," I explain.

Fiona points to the common lawn that two adjoining apartment complexes share.

"That's an alley?"

"No. It has to be a space between the buildings."

4) The new word is seen everywhere she looks.

"Look, Daddy, an alley!" she declares, every time she sees a space between two buildings. Or a driveway.

We're making progress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home