9/16/2007

Trouper

I expected that I was going to write today about Fiona's first movie in a theater. We took her to see Mr. Bean's Holiday today, since she likes the Mr. Bean shorts. She wound up bored and I don't have a heck of a lot to report on that front.

But after the movie was over and we got home, I asked Fiona if she wanted to walk to the grocery store with me to pick up some meat for dinner. We got out on the sidewalk and played the chasing game we usually play; she chases me a bit, and then I chase her. I was chasing her when Fiona tripped and started crying. No biggie; she's a kid, she trips on the street, she skins her knee and you bandage it up and keep going.

Except this time when I picked her up she had blood running all across her chin. I scooped her up and did my best Dustin Hoffman in Kramer vs. Kramer, racing the two blocks home where we proceeded to freak Andrea out when she saw me carrying her bloody daughter into the apartment.

After we got her cleaned up it became clear that Fiona had cut her lip pretty badly and that she had a cut below her lip in addition to a scrape across her chin. The bleeding was significant, and the face isn't something you want to take chances with, so we headed off to the nearest emergency room for children, which is in East Elmhurst (years ago I'd actually looked this up and printed out directions which were posted on a bulletin board in our home, so the prior planning came in useful).

We probably waited at the ER for an hour, which isn't too bad by ER standards, and within a few minutes Fiona was running around, dancing and singing, so it was clear she wasn't carrying around too much pain. As a matter of fact, she even started trying to climb across the benches, which made us a little nervous since we'd already had one fall for the afternoon.

Once we got into the examining room, Fiona was amazing. She did everything the doctors asked and even as they poked and prodded and cleaned and swabbed Fiona never batted an eye. The cut turned out to be minor -- no stitches necessary, not that I regret for a moment taking her in. They put some dermabond on the cut beneath her lip in order to help it settle and let us know she may have a hairline scar for the next 5 years or so, wrote us a prescription for some antibiotics, and sent us on her way.

Fiona's going to have a swollen lip tomorrow, but things could have been far worse, and I look forward to spending the next several days pretending to be a patient on an examining table while Dr. Fiona pokes and prods at my chin and pretends to swab it with water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home