8/13/2008

I Can't Remember Her Using Fewer Than Three

We had our first visit with our new pediatrician last week. I liked her a lot, although I'm not sure Fiona would say the same; there was quite a bit of poking and prodding and sample taking and shot giving. Fiona got to show off her truly spooky shot demeanor--she doesn't cry at all when the doctor gives her one ("must have a very high pain threshold," the doctor said, shaking her head).

If she hears an ice cream truck go by outside and doesn't get to the window in time to see it she's disconsolate and weeps for days. Stick a needle in her arm and she looks mildly annoyed. I can't figure out my kid sometimes.

Anyway, at one point the nurse was interviewing us and asking all the questions they have to ask to make sure your child isn't facing a serious developmental delay--basically the stuff that would indicate something is wrong, so it's thresholds Fiona was expected to pass a while ago.

--Does she play in groups?
I said yes

--Does she share with others when she plays?
Yep

--Can she jump?
Fiona, show Nurse Alisha your jump.

--Does she use sentences of three words or more?

I heard that question and it was just involuntary. I burst out laughing.

To be fair, my daughter's motormouth tendencies do subside when she meets new adults, so we weren't getting the same running commentary I'm used to. But it wasn't a question I had to think long and hard to answer.

1 Comments:

Blogger Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

We have the same name, how cool is that!

My kids hate shots. I cannot blame them. I am better now, but I still have vivid memories of me running down the hallways AWAY from the nurse who was going to stick me.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home