4/19/2008

Getting Funny

Last night as we struggled to get Fiona to put her pajamas on, I made a comment about how at the rate we were headed she was going to finish putting her pajamas on around the time I was pouring juice for her the next morning.

Now, I don't think that comment really ranks among the top dozen funniest things I've said even in the past two months, but Fiona dissolved into hysterics. "Pouring juice in the morning!" she giggled. The reason this is significant: it's the first time I can remember Fiona getting a word-based joke.

Fiona's always loved to laugh, but up until now it's been mainly silly faces and silly voices. She knows a few knock knock jokes (knock knock, who's there, cargo, cargo who, car go beep beep), but she doesn't really understand why the knock knock jokes she knows are funny.

But in the past few weeks it does seem that her sense of humor is starting to kick up a level. One Friday night at dinner we were talking about what we were going to do the next day, and I announced that we were going to sit in the corner staring at the wall all day, because that was the most fun thing I could think to do. We play these sorts of games with Fiona a lot, and usually she responds with a big smile and a "nooooo, that's silly." But this time she fake cried; it was the first time we'd seen her play along with a joke.

We're probably still not ready for the Python or Marx Bros. DVDs, and I've got nothing against silly faces, but it's fun to see Fiona learn new ways to laugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home